Monday, July 29, 2013

Blessing of the Fleet 10 Mile Road Race

I finally got to run this pinnacle of a local road race. Whenever you mention to a local runner who has run the Blessing you get an unpleasant response – a love hate thing - all because of the hazy, hot and humidity. Unfortunately or fortunately I was not able to experience the three H’s as the temperature was around 78 and light rain with little humidity.
As with any night time race the anxiety builds all day. What to eat, when to eat, did I drink enough, what time to leave - oh the emotions. Lucky for me the logistics were very accommodating – Jeff had gotten our race bibs and shirts a week before, plus the Walkers offered to join them for the ride up. This was the way to go because when we got to the exit for Narragansett – bumper to bumper traffic. We were commenting how runners were parking at the Stop & Shop and running to the registration location than back to their cars – suckers. I was in air condition car getting pre-race course instructions from Jeff who was going to mentor Matthew who was also running this race for first time (I’ll come back to this mentoring point in moment). As we were getting closer to drop off point we decided to just stop the car, get out and let Jana (from Jana Sport Photography) drive to the finish line. All three of us had to find the bathroom (tree). After we quickly stretched we went for a short warm up. I felt little rushed plus the amount of people the nerves started to set in. On the way back Jeff had us stop just beyond the start line on the side walk. We must have been there 5 minutes and then someone (race official) said get ready. Holly cow – everyone piled into the narrow street shoulder to shoulder. Jeff said jump up and look down the street – as far as I could see runners everywhere – OMG. By the way Tommy 5k, plenty of sights to see – must do next year (Hi Julie). The race started on time as we begun the pursuit. Why do 8 minute milers get up front – why. After dodging through this field of runners for the first ½ mile you were able to start you run. The first mile I ran 6:15 – I had no goal as this was longest race sense knee operation 3 month ago. I felt good but decided to slow up just a little. By the second mile I was around 6:40 pace feeling better. Just past the mile 3 marker and who comes from behind, Justin Kane – another local runner who does fun run and races (tall guy) plus Mathew and his mentor. All 4 of us ran from mile 3 to mile 7 or 8 together. Back to race recap in a moment – I have to rant on the mentoring
Jeff was mentoring Matthew so EVERY ½ mile Jeff would call out pace and EVERY mile he would say - mile 4, 6 more to go, mile 5, 5 more to go……. Really Jeff, Matthew knew where the mile markers are and I’m sure he can do the math. Are the teachers that bad at Westerly – Muddy ??? Buy him a space watch – he can do the math. In addition Jeff would mention to Matthew, look water, do you need water, I’ll get it for you. NEVER did he ask me. And mister Vise President of WTAC would run into someone he knew and would slow down and say hello than speed up to catch us – this mentoring thing reminded me of when we run trails – aka DEER FLY - circling around and annoying us, never going away until you swat it. If you are reading this for the first time – this is humor also called sarcasm at times, smile and deal with it.

Around mile 7 or 8 we started to lose Justin who was fading (only finish 10/15 second behind Matthew). Jeff once again called out mile 8 ½ miles, only mile and ½ to go – thanks for the math lesson AGAIN. At this point of the course there is a little and only hill. I was feeling strong so I pick up the pace little doing my Jonny impression and pushed the hill. I came to the end of this street where I had to take a right turn while these little kids were in the middle of the street holding signs and yelling – 1 more mile to go – how cool. The entire course had great crowd participation, cheering, partying and playing loud music – awesome social gathering. The last mile I finish strong – over all finish was 133 with a time of 1:07:38 for a 6:46 pace. Space watch had it right 10.02. Mathew was 10 second behind me. Congrads to Matthew who ran a great race with a deer fly around him the entire time - you can smile once in a while ;) – that way you won’t get wrinkles when your dads age. Hugh crowd at the end of the course and still was able to pick out people that I knew. Overall this was a good race for me and I was able to gauge were I am in my recovery, which I can say, I think I’m recovered. I wish I stayed at the 6:15 pace just to see how I would have done.
Summary – thanks to the Walkers for the logistics and the company on the run. This is/was a fun race with a great enthusiastic crowd. I will be doing this race next year for sure, bring on the three H’s.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job out there. It's a shame that Jeff was so focused on his son that he wasn't able to address your needs. Caring is sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 H's - you mean me and my brothers? Nice write up. Glad you are feeling fully recovered!

    ReplyDelete