Monday, April 28, 2014

RISP Foot Pursuit 5K


Arrived about an hour before the start as this race is a heavy participated as 700+. I was surprised how cold it was when I got out of the warm car to go get my race bib. Starting running into WTAC team members – I enjoy the club comradely when we arrive for non WTAC races. We wear our colors well. Steve S bike up from Westerly to run this race – nice job doing the double Steve. He introduce me to someone (sorry forgot the name) as a WTAC member and this person proceeded with the comment – WTAC is a strong team, you guys are doing good things.

Went for a short warm up with Seth in those trails across from the beach. Arrived back at the start with about 15 minutes to go to shed the sweatshirt. Took notice that they hadn’t set up the start yet – this is odd as this is a very well organized race. Finally I see them setting up the starting line – they are assembling the TRIMOM scaffolding start line thingy. In years past we just line up on both lanes of the high way. This scaffolding thingy limits the amount of people that can get up front. If you read the other blogs you will notice all the couch to 5K runners somehow got up front along with kids who think the race is only 100 yards. I felt like a cow being corralled before the slaughter house. Usually someone from the race organization committee will say a few words – like thanking sponsors and what the race is about – supporting a local policeman who was injured running few years ago.....All of a sudden the shotgun goes off – wait, no pre race announcement, we started. Should have warned Shara about shot gun start as this scared the daylights out of her.

So the cattle that corralled begin to move – I was lined up about 10 feet or 10 seconds from the start. I start to make my way weaving in and out of the couch to 5K runners and I happen to see Seth get tripped up with a kid. He was fine as he went on to a PR for a 5K – well done Seth. As the start thins out I came upon a Turtle – Dave Schaad and that noise, oh that noise. The 1 mile marker was dead on with my space watch, 6:00 minute mile for the first mile. Now I start to make my way for the right hand turn onto Boon St. Very small hill as we start on Boon St., I wouldn’t even call it a hill, more like a bump. As I’m starting to make my way on the left side of the road, who is that I happen to see on the sidewalk – The Gazelle. Very cool seeing him out and about as it put a smile on the face as I gave him a hand slap (I was smiling because he wasn’t racing and I had a chance to place in that hard master age group). Jana from Jana Walker Sports Photography had employed him to take pictures. Thanks Jeff for the support. Mile 2 was 6:12 and again right on with the space watch. I was little surprised for my mile 2 time, thought I ran a faster mile. Quick small downhill setting up for the left turn onto Ocean Rd. when all of sudden the head wind hits you in the face. I didn’t really pay attention to the wind when I was warming up – didn’t matter anyway. I was an island all alone, so I had no one to daft. Sucks when racing and being on island alone, it changes how you race. No one to catch because they are way out in front and you can’t feel the hunt behind you. I’ll have to work on this for next time. Another Gazelle sighting on Ocean Rd., couldn’t muster up a smile or words of thanks as the wind was taken my breath away. Mile 3 chimed on the space watch 6:22 mile – wasn’t happy with the last mile effort but ended up 19:08 space watch time – official was 19:17. Good for 17 place, third in that master age group. WTAC took the win for both the girls and guys – Well done EVERYONE.

Jeff from Jana Walker Sports Photography taken the picture

4 comments:

  1. Nice race out there, and glad you placed. It felt weird being a spectator, but kind of fun and neat to see all the WTAC shirts coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this was gun timed not chip timed... Agree the C25K should be lined up where they belong (quite possibly behind even me!!) Nice race, congrats on your age group place!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great race, Mike! I paid those C25K people to slow you down, glad to see you persevered...props to Gazelle too!

    ReplyDelete