Monday, April 14, 2014

Recap of this weekend

Saturday – 19 miles BIKE
I was about to respond to the group email for Saturday trail run and at the last minute I got a text from Jeff about a group BIKE ride with FiveK, Shara and Jeff.  I’ve been craving to ride my new bike so this was perfect. This was a fun ride – casual at times and competitive at times.  Jeff and FiveK have it good, biking and/or running early morning down in the beach area. The new bike is awesome; just have to get use to the new shifting – different from last bike.
 
Clamdigger 5M (WTAC event)
This was only the second time running this event. Last year I just had surgery on my knee, plus it was only a 5K event. Ended up 7th overall with a time of 31:52 (6:22 pace) beating my time in 2012 by 1 minute – so I PR. Started fast and got into a groove early setting in (telephone pole length) behind local runner Jeff Vuono. Traffic was light so no issues other than on the way back on Atlantic Avenue. We started to encounter traffic from the walkers. Ok, they are walking and I’m running yet they look at me funny as I’m trying to run a tangent line back – get the hell out of the way - really, I’m running. Started to close in a Jeff V with about ½ mile to go but ran out of time as I finishing just behind him.
 
So after a long cool down run with Chris G, Mike G, and Justin I went to go look at results. 7th overall first in age group – COOL. Finally, Jeff was not running the race as he was running the event. Now time for awards – Jeff asked me to assist with handing out awards – no problem. He gets on the microphone (his favorite toy) and announces that they don’t have overall winner awards – so we will just give them the age group award. (Reminder Mike G just turned 40 and was the overall winner). WTF, REALLY JEFF – he did it to me again, he’s not running in this race and I still get the second place award – unFing-believable (relax, this is just sarcasm) I don’t care.
 
Special KUDOS to Jeff and Jana Walker – they did a tremendous job putting on this event as we were down three WTAC board members due to travel. Don’t forget this was a duel event with 5K and 5 mile race for the first time, so double the issues and responsibility. Great job Jeff, I have no constructive criticism to give – except for the age group award J
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice recap! And haha, Galoob moves into the 40-49 age group, you're even more screwed than before!!! Oh wait, I'm in the same age group...dammit!

    Great result at the Clamdigger, though!!! I'd say the 5M race was pretty stacked, given the number of sub- 8,7, and 6 minute paces. Nice work! Foot Pursuit in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome race, Mike. I'm still laughing about the age group award fiasco. I didn't even realize the consequences of not having overall winners until reading your recap. You'll get the win someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to ask about the bike... at least your not competing for last. Bwahaa... Nice to see you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to continue to foil you in your age group even when I don't run! Seriously, nice job out there.

    ReplyDelete