Monday, May 6, 2013

University of Connecticut, Avery Point – Gorton CT

Seeing that the days are getting longer and it’s not winter I thought I would share some pictures where I run so early in the morning on week days.

I run from Pfizer south gate down along the water of the Thames River to the University of Connecticut, Avery Point. Once I enter into the property I like to take the trail along the water, cliffs and rocks. At this time of year with the sun coming up you can see Montauk/Fisher Island, NY. No one but the UCONN security guards are around – I have the place to myself. I than run to a section called Juniper Point, this is just a street with a small turnaround but when you add Avery and Juniper Points you can see 5 light houses.

The first picture below is an aerial view. Notice the trail along the water, cliffs and rocks. In addition, on the left side of the picture you will notice a road that turns around that almost goes out to the water. This is where I do my speed work – this turnaround is 200m according to MapMyRun.com and has a small hill so it makes for a little challenge. I run at 5:00am, so I can run down the middle of these roads with no traffic. Depending on wind, weather and how I’m feeling I run in either direction along with going down other streets – summary, I have options.

 

\

5 comments:

  1. I can see that being a very peaceful place to run in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good route! See, trails, I knew you couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stripers everywhere at that place. Bring a rod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run that same route, although the opposite direction! It is beautiful and peaceful, even at 10 in the a.m. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you don't run trails anymore :)
    Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete