Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

This just in
Article from New London Day – about Mike C and his trail - nice job Mike

Friday - little over 4 miles with the 4:45 club (first of the year for me, renewing my membership). Woke up to pouring rain and thought what the hell I’m I doing. By the time I pick up Jeff and we arrived at Tom5k house the rain stop. Good run and the rain held off. Later that day I went on a school field trip with my daughter – fell asleep on the bus, wonder why.
Saturday - North Stonington Education Foundation 5K
Rain, wind and cold but I like this race. Started out in the back as I was not sure how I was going to feel. The gun went off with a little hitch and racing instincts takes over passing the kids that all go out fast – EXCEPT little gazelle junior (Matthew). Settled in few second behind him in 6th place with a kid on my back. At the turn around gazelle senior (can’t wait until next year when he will be a senior, turning 50) was in the lead with the hunt on. Shaping up to be a good finish, unfortunately I faded on the hills on the way back as I still have not gain stamina from being out for 8 weeks. So my battle/race was the kid behind me who was on my back the entire time until the last ½ mile when I decide it was time to go. Finish strong in 6th place. The senior won so I was able to take first in age group along with other WTAC members. Did a cool down with both senior and junior gazelles – Mathew never stop talking, it may have been raining, cold and miserable but you would have never notice that coming from him on the cool down – until a late finisher happen to see us talking and having a good time and she yelled out – show offs – what the #$%& - really, that made senior angry.

Sunday – 33 mile bike ride with gazelle and Tom5k Met up with them behind CC’s in Pawcatuck. They ask me to put together a 30 miler. So we went to Mystic were we stop for a coffee and into the borough for a quick loop and back to River Road. Very windy ride but good company and a good pace. Both Tom and Jeff are reading for TRI season as they smoked the hills – waited for me – than I smoked the down hills with gazelle in the hunt right behind me – funny how you can actually hear someone on a bike right behind you – very cool sound.

MondayBearathon 5k in Mystic / This race supports the sophomore and senior class at Stonington and with one in high school and another going soon – I have to support – so twist my arm to do a road race. Ran a warm up with Mike C. This race is anther out and back on Mason Island, twisting and turning into cul-de-sacs. The thing I like with this race is you get to see the field multiple times, good cheering and giving high 5’s on the way. Took 10th overall and ran a good time as this was the fastest I have run since surgery. No pain later in the day and all felt good – until WE showed up at my house and had to cut the lawn and wash the cars…………I hate WE like I hate winter. I have to meet this WE person someday.

Summary – great 4 days of running, racing and riding. Looking forward to the hot and humid weather later
In the week – bring it.
Photo by Jana Walker Sport Photography / NSEF5k

3 comments:

  1. Loved the write-up. Good running and biking with you the past few days. I'll be the one dying in the upcoming heat and humidity - I hate the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should be a good time this week, looking forward to some early (but not too early) runs/bikes this week...cool race on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the Bearathon. Sounds like you are all healed up and ready for summer (which I can only imagine is your favorite season.)

    ReplyDelete