Monday, April 8, 2013

Update/Recovery

After still having pain in the knee and not believing my primary care physician on the ageing comment (shut-up Muddy), I decided to go see an orthopedic doctor at South County Orthopedics. They treat URI athletes, plus I don’t trust the doctors in Westerly these days – they are too old and not up with the times. I was referred to see Dr. Coppes. Very popular guy as I had to wait a week to see him. They day had come for the appointment – I was hoping for a cortisone shot. After telling him how much I run in a week and how miserable I was not being able to run he asked were the pain was –  he then put his thumb right on the pain (on the inner meniscus) and pushed in. WOW the pain, OMG I wanted to hit him back it hurt SO MUCH. Than the words I did not want to hear – looks like a torn meniscus, let’s schedule a MRI. By the way when I left the doctor’s office I was limping because of what he did. After going for the MRI, I had to go for consultation with Dr. Coppes who said – yup, torn meniscus, so we need to schedule surgery. I commented - what are you doing this afternoon or tomorrow. This is how fast I wanted to have the surgery. We schedule for the following week. So the day had arrived for surgery at South County Hospital. I was prep for surgery and then the anesthesiologist (thanks for spell check) asked me which one I wanted – summary, do I want to watch the surgery or be put out. I mentioned whatever way is best for coming out of surgery, another words, fastest way to get out of the hospital. I awoke in recovery with my wife holding pictures of my meniscus. What the hell do I want pictures of my meniscus or is this some plot that my wife is up too – I happened to have 2 tears on my meniscus, one for an old injury I can’t recall – the MRI did not catch that one. Left the hospital on crutches, never been on crutches before so my wife had a good laugh. Asked to ice it for 2 days keep it elevated and use the crutches for a week until he can evaluate me. Bandage came off and Dr. C said everything looks good. Looks like you can do 1 physical therapy session and I will see you in three weeks and more than likely you can go back RUNNING. Summary, green light to run on 19- April and winter is over with finally. Might sign up for Foot Pursuit on the 28th and run with Mike C

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're on the mend. Glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news Mike! See you out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! That'll be a great day out there. Keep us posted on the progress though, FiveK said it helped him during his downtime to post his other activities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. April 19 is just ten days away! I was expecting to see you limping at Clamdigger, but you were looking good. Look forward to you rejoining our runs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should race soon. It would slow, gimpy, and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, glad to hear you are on the mend.

    Maybe Muddy, you, and I could enter a team race..

    The Westerly Track Gimpers vs. The World!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Screw all you guys, your gimpy injured pace is faster than my "My heart's gonna explode if I go any faster" pace...so suck it...

    ReplyDelete