Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekly Log 21-Apr to 27-Apr, 2013

Never mind the physical pain of the injury, the psychic pain of not being able to run can sometimes be even worse. Force yourself to tough it out. It’s very important to come back slowly from an injury, and you shouldn’t rush the process. Cut way back on running – or eliminate it entirely – until you recover from the injury. This is what the doctors/physical therapist and advice from on-line reading tells you. Really, what do they know?

Your body, unfortunately, is a fickle creature. Like marriage (just kidding Julie, little sarcasm). After all the time and energy and miles you have invested to get it into shape, your body will thank you by forgetting it all at the earliest opportunity. It’s a difficult truth; you lose fitness quickly when you stop all training. You can, however, take up to a week off without losing any ground. Three or four days of rest can even improve your performance (Jonny, you getting this). But after a week, you will quickly start to lose your edge – a lot faster than it took you to build it up.

After a long layoff, even with some core work, I was bound to lose at least some fitness and gain a few pounds. Then I had to convince my ego that I shouldn’t immediately try to run as I did before my injury – this all started with and email on Friday about a Saturday morning “fat guy from Wal-Mart” run. I was so excited to go out with the group again – than I notice they were going to do 6 miles. I only had run 2 miles from when I got green light to run which was that Friday. How can I do 6, what if I can’t keep up, what if I reinjure the knee, I know Muddy the drama or how did you put it – pussy. My eyes were bigger than my belly as the saying goes. After rethinking this I decided I would run 4 miles from my house instead at my pace. I ended up running at a 7:45 pace with hills – not bad. Everything felt great, had little trouble breathing and I even got a little cramp. The coolest part of the run was when I was on North Anguilla road when 10 Harley-Davidson bikers passed me head on all giving me the thumbs up sign – how cool. Like they know the psychic pain of not being able to run that I went through. Sunday, I decided I would rest this day and see if anything hurt. I ended up doing much needed yard work all pain free – except for the occasional WE need to do this and WE need to do that comment from my better half. Still haven’t been able to meet this WE guy. Monday, I ran 4 miles from work in the early morning – what the hell happened to spring – it was little chilly. Funny how you get out of the routine, forgot my space watch, gloves and WTAC hat. I force myself to tough it out with the chilly 33 degree temperature – I hate winter. I hope this will be the last time I say that for awhile.

Tuesday - 4 Miles, another cold morning with head wind
Wednesday – 0 – decided rest the legs this day as I have been told to take it slow on recovery. Little do they know, only for this week ;) 

Thursday – 4 miles in the parking garage at work as it started to rain early in the AM. You had to be up early to notice that it did rain – sleepy heads. Felt great running today
Friday – 4.5 - after a late night with fellow WTAC board members Muddy & Mike C going over applications for scholarships and drinking, this light weight had trouble getting up at 4:20 to go running. Stop at DD to get a coffee to wake me up - had a very enjoyable run with the full moon out this morning. This was the longest run since I went out on surgery. First 2 miles go great – 7:30 ish than around just after mile 2 I start to feel fatigue 8:30 ish – man, I have to work on the base. Found out that Muddy & Mike C like to drink (a lot) nasty beers that taste like tree park and wood chips.

3 comments:

  1. Couple things:
    1. It's no longer winter. It's spring dude.
    2. You're not a pu**y. Your story above sounds very much like mine.

    Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Saturday's run was at a leisurely pace, but you made the right decision. Besides, you avoided Muddy's incessant whining about the rain and the cold, which is a bonus!

    And it's spring! No more talk of winter for 8 months, K?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go into an awesome bar like the Malted Barley and, out of the whole beer menu, order a Sam Adams Light, and we're the ones with problems??? We should have been hurting way more than you, lightweight...and tree bark and wood chips are delicious! Especially when made into a tasty beer...

    ReplyDelete