Monday, January 7, 2013

Weekly Log 6-Jan to 12-Jan

Friday: 0
Houston, we’ve had a Problem" the exact quote from Apollo 13

Knee pain (inner knee)

Last couple of days I have had a nagging knee pain. I’ve been running through this pain as it does not hurt that much while running. My initial thought was my form was off because of the many runs into the wind (leaning forward a little); unfortunately this is not the case. The pain is significant after the run and it now has been keeping me up at night while trying to sleep. I thought I could tuff it out but this is not the case. I’m going to do what my doctor suggested back in 2009 when I had this same situation, stop running and take Aleve 3 times a day along with icing at night. Not sure how long I will shut it down, well have to see - black hawk down

Muddy, could it be because I sat next to that doll in your truck when we did that run couple of weeks ago in Hope Valley – bury/burn that thing
Jonny, enjoy the mileage now. Take a rest day from time to time. The age thing creeps up fast.
Tom, I feel your pain,
Jeff, just turn 50 please
Mike, keep doing what you are doing
Seth – I may need to borrow the P90X video
Thurday: 6
Same old, same old on this run - I hate winter


Wednesday: 6

Another boring dark, chilly, early January morning run – nothing new on this run, same track as always. Although while running I have been thinking/planning on increasing the weekly base – thinking on what roads to go down. I don’t like running streets that have cul-de-sacs (reminds me of a 5K race, out and back around a cone). This will happen once winter ends. I hate winter
Tuesday: 6
Another run in the cold, dark January morning (5:00am I hate winter). From the south gate at work, my normal loop through the streets of Groton, CT down to UCONN Avery Point. Massive head wind as i hit mile 2, this is when I take a right turn into Avery Point (the wind coming from LI Sound). This was for about 1 mile or so until I was out of Avery Point. It's funny how your inner voice SCREAMS at you when the wind kicks up in your face. I really want to kick the s..t out of the inner voice someday. I happen to see the paper boy this morning as I haven't come across him lately - we have an understanding, I won't hit him and he won’t hit me.
Monday: 6
Good to get in this run in – finally the temperature getting back to normal or seasonal (28 degrees). Did this run in the dark (5:00am) through the streets of Groton, CT. down into UCONN Avery Point.  When I started out from the south gate at work, I decided to take a right turn instead of my normal left turn (try something new). Unfortunately this would come back to haunt me because there was a little head wind coming off the Thames River from mile 3 on. I usually pay attention to the wind in the winter because it can be a bitch coming off the Long Island Sound or from the Thames.
Sunday: 0
Another goose egg –unfortunately this weekend just didn’t work out for me for finding a window of opportunity to run. Between basketball, indoor LAX, leaky outdoor faucet, and dead battery in truck I could not find time to get a run in. Looking forward to Monday (I can’t believe I just said that) and some normality – how’s that for a word.

Weekly mileage totals: 24

6 comments:

  1. Your relationship with your paperboy scares me.
    By the way, how do you feel about winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should race the paperboy in the first annual, Windy Cul de Sac 5K. It'd be fun and could potentially quell the inner voice screams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a few more months 'til spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Injuries suck. Hope you're on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I turn 50 next year. In the meantime, you're stuck in my age group, so if you want to win the masters age group, you'll just have to run faster than me. It shouldn't be hard, because I'm a "much, much older runner"! How's that for a challenge?
    Seriously, hope you're back out running soon. Sounds like you're smart to take some time off in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, sorry to hear about the injury. It definitely sounds like a frustrating situation, but you are making a good move by taking time off now and playing it smart. Best of luck on your road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete