Thursday, March 20, 2014

I know – I’m little behind with the blog – you’ll enjoy the end of this one

Saturday 0
My Daughter who turned 13 (going on 21) few weeks back had “girls gone wild” on Friday. This meant having 6 teenage girls sleepover. All the more to go on that WTAC group run, but Julie asked me if I would SHARE the pain with her (her words) on getting the girls up, feed and out the door for 9:00am. This meant I was going to be the bad guy – I love waking up teenagers EARLY in the morning (before noon), really it’s a lot of fun. After everyone went home and we clean-up it starting to rain a little so I went on a little trip to Wakefield, RI (more on this trip later in the blog).

Sunday 6.3
Seeing I was not able to get out on Saturday I decided to run the local roads around my place. I called this run on Strava – Bob Seger as no matter which way I turned I was running with a head wind.

Monday 0
Another zero just after taken a rest day on Saturday. Mondays are getting to be difficult to get out and run. I have multiple global meetings on this day and I don’t have a boss like Jonny. In addition, for some reason I was dead tired. Not from running, just tired from not sleeping. 

Tuesday 7
After another rest day the day before I was looking forward to getting out. I was underdressed for this run but I had no plan on where I was going or a pace I wanted to run. First mile was slow but the next 6 felt great and cruised just under a 7 pace. After catching up on some sleep this run felt good, I felt refreshed, ready for some spring.

Wednesday 5.8
I wanted to do speed work so when I started out I didn’t realize just how wicked windy it was. On the first mile, the warm up mile I was thinking were and what kind of speed work to do. I really like 5K’s 5,4,3,2,1 workout. This gives you 15 minutes of speed, which is almost a 5K race. Compared to doing 400’s, 800’s or 200’s……..I texted 5K later in the day sharing my thoughts on the workout. He mentioned the following - shorter distances do build fast twitch muscle fibers which helps with foot speed. Ok, what do I know, made me feel better as I did 5x500’s and 3x300’s. Some of the laps were into the wind as it was wicked windy Wednesday. Legs felt sore after this workout.

Now for the fun – you’ll enjoy this next part of my Wednesday
I left work hour early to go to Wakefield, RI to pick up my new toy (pic below). Let me say this – I went to three bikes shops – I’ll outline for you on my experience
Mystic – big showroom with lots of choices but would not budge on price
Ray Willis – small with little to no choices although good place for turn-ups
Stedman’s – small with little to no choices BUT hidden in the building are more bikes than appears. Plus the help at this shop is great. The minute I open the door I felt like one of the gang and I’m not a bike geeky guys (at this moment). I recommend this place over any other in the area as they are open, honest and willing to deal. At the end of the visit they kept asking/insisting to come up for group rides.
On the way home I got a phone call from Julie – went something like this:
Hey, did you get your new toy and did everything go ok – Yup, great place good conversation lost track of time. Great can’t wait to see-it (what that means is what did we just waste money on – I can read between the lines) by the way, WE need to go to Home Depot later. Home Depot – why, what just happened. The washer machine finally broke (18yr old machine).

So we go to Home Depot after Julie did some research on-line. We or SHE picks the one that SHE wants. Remember I just got a new toy – I’m agreeing with whatever. As she works out the details with Home Depot person I decide to wonder around. I’m a do-it-yourself person, love walking around Home Depot. I have other hobbies other than running. So when I get back the Home Depot person says we can deliver this on Saturday for you. Julie says great, sooner the better as we have teenagers and tons of laundry.

Now what’s going on in my head at this time – I did not actually say these words (remember I just got a new toy) – Saturday, this is the best you can do. I have a race on Saturday; really, you don’t have this in stock. What I actual said was in the morning or afternoon. They will call the night before and tell us when. I know what you’re thinking (Jeff, Jonny) but I just got a new toy. Although I like going to the dog house, really the dog house can be fun at times as the dog does not talk back and listens to ME – I enjoy dog house time with my best friend but SLEEPING in the dog house sucks. So, game day decision on the race.
the new toy - 2014 Specialized Allez Comp

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking bike. I'm sure your dishwasher is equally nice looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr-lingame at 10, see you there. I'm already in the doghouse, so feel free to join me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Happy new bike! Look forward to many rides with you.

    Don't let Jana read your blog. She's pining for a new dishwasher as well.

    Now, to Crutch's point, see you Saturday! All the cool people are going to be there, and I'm going to there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice bike!!!! I loved my trip to Stedmans last August! 18 years is great for a washing machine. Dog house? What is this place? My spouse was sure to give me a run down on the trails when he got home this evening. Granted his vantage point is from a bike, teeny bit different. See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete