Monday, February 10, 2014

Back in time

Sunday 0 – rest day
Unfortunately I was not able to run the Belleville Pond 10K with WTAC team mates (sorry Mike G). I had family obligations  

Saturday - 13, 14, 15 something (space watch wasn’t working properly) 

This I will call the Back in Time run (Huey Lewis and the News – just for you Chris). I’ll explain - settle in as I have a lot to share. Muddy has been running on Juniper Drive in Ashaway past couple of times. This is the street that I grew up on. So Saturday morning I was urging some Ashaway memories. Went into the garage and started the DeLorean time machine making sure the Flux Capacitor had enough fuel. Got up to 88MPH and BOOM ended up Ashaway (ok, I said boom). I decided first that I would see if Muddy was up. Ran into the driveway, touch his truck and turned around waving (dame it, I needed some water at this point). So, off to Juniper Drive via Diamond Hill. Diamond Hill was picturesque with snow still on the trees dripping with ice drops – very cool. Turned onto Egypt Street for a quick downhill than a hard right onto Juniper Drive.

Juniper Drive – this was Americana in the 70’s & 80’s. Everyone on this street was blue color working class families. This was the place where you know your neighbor and you could leave the door unlock at night along with the garage door open and keys in the car. This is a true fact – we did this in the Boumenot household. We invented how to play outside ALL DAY – we were told – get out and play and don’t come home until the streetlights are on.

I’ll share some of the things WE invented on Juniper Drive: (remember this is my story)
  • Whipple Ball – with invisible runners, strike zone and if you hit the house, you’re out.
  • Snowball fights – when I like winter
  • BMX biking
  • Sledging – when I like winter
  • Skateboarding – when you just went down the hill on a skateboard
  • Building snow forts – when I like winter
  • Ice hockey on a pond in the middle of the woods - we never checked the thickness of the ice. Just get out and play hockey. When the ice cracked we would say it was a season crack – yeah right
  • Capture the flag on bikes at night
  • Street Hockey – we actually painted the goals, blue lines and face-off spots on the street
  • Throwing snowballs at cars at night – I will deny this if someone mother or fathers car got hit
  • Freesbe Football
  • Building tree forts
  • Climbing trees
  • Exploring in the woods – this was the early version of trail running
  • You could ride your bike to school – we were the coolest kids
Everyone wanted to come play on Juniper Drive. Ok, you get the point. Juniper Drive / Ashaway was the best place in the country to grow up in the 70’s and 80’s. Brought home the DeLorean, clean-it up and parked it back in the garage. SO, in closing I challenge you to come get the DeLorean time machine making sure the Flux Capacitor has fuel and go out to a place in time – could be anywhere. Speed up to 88MPH and enjoy the RUN down memory lane.
Friday 8
The 4:30 club decided to do a 4:00PM workout. This was one of FiveK workouts. We did hill repeats (6) on the Surftown hill in Watch Hill. Then we went out to Ocean View for (5) 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy followed by (5) 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy. Prefer this instead of track workouts - minus the hill repeats. On the way back to our cars we had to run by the Ocean House were on the third floor someone came out on the balcony and yelled – we turned around look up and it was Ryan Woolley. He was there staying the night before his big day – he’s getting married – sucker (hi Julie). We wished him well and good luck. Summary - good workout, good company – the only bad thing was, it was cold

2 comments:

  1. Nice trip down memory lane. Although, we didn't have street lights, every farm had a light on a pole that came on at dark and went out at dawn. Same thing, right? I have a nice memory jog (ha ha) when I visit my parents. Hmm maybe next time I'll take a treck out to the graveyard and visit the witches grave, that could be fun. Wonder if I can still get my brothers to eat mud pies? Muwahaaaa....

    ReplyDelete
  2. When old people reminisce, everybody wins.

    I hope sledging involves two kids dueling with sledge hammers.

    ReplyDelete