Monday, June 10, 2013

Run for the memories

Sunday 12.4 - see Strava for actual course
Started from my house in Pawcatuck, CT to Juniper Drive, Ashaway, RI – this is the place that I grew up. Start time was 5:30ish to elude traffic on busy route 2 in Pawcatuck down to White Rock (side note – they finally fixed the road in White Road, newly paved road – nice) up to Boom Bridge road over the bridge and into Ashaway – no traffic at all – just cows looking at me funny. Up the hill in front of Ashaway Free Library onto Route 3, took a right onto Egypt Street - again, no traffic. Once on Egypt Street the memories began to come back – who lived where and OMG that house needs work. Took a left onto the famous Juniper Drive (we thought we were famous). Started to remember all the good times as a kid we had on this street – nothing but good memories. Started to come up to the house I was raised in – thought to myself, wonder if I can stop in and see what’s in the refrigerator, who’s been sleeping in my room. Can I use the bathroom??? The house was built in mid 60’s, ranch style – man did it need work – wait until I tell my father.  Juniper Drive is shaped like the letter P (just backwards) so while remembering all the good times, and who lived where and where are they now, I forgot I was running and back onto Egypt Street. Ended up running on Route 3 until I took the right where Ashaway Elementary School was on. WOW, funny how everything has changed. I Ended up running through Potter Hill (up that F-ing hill) Jeff, 5kTom, Jonny and Muddy know that hill - back onto Boom Bridge road, than into White Rock and back home.

Summary – this was a really enjoyable run, very little traffic but the RUN down memory lane was worth it. I forgot just how much FUN it was living in Ashaway with no cable TV, internet and cell phones…….. What would my kids do with themselves??????

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, memory lane...and made it through Schwaytown with no Muddy sightings???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice run. I love that your distances are coming back up, which reminds me I need to restart my dormant long runs.

    ReplyDelete