Thursday, November 20, 2014

Survival - Li'l Rhody Runaround

Alright, alright, alright (my Matthew McConaughey impression) updating the blog
Sorry no pic’s to share – Jana must not like me anymore or I’m too slow and she didn’t want to wait around.

Arrived early to help set-up and everyone was already there. I like the fact that everyone comes out to volunteer for this race. Great to see Tom and Shara, it was also nice to do a recap of Hartford with Shara – remember, Jeff was miserable and wanted to leave so I never got a chance to discuss recap with her.
 
I’m not really a trail runner – running trails as a group is fun but racing trails, not my thing. I never train for it and I have no strategy. I never know how to approach this race other than just surviving.
 
The race starts fast as everyone what’s a good position before they go into the trails. Felt good going into the campground section passing a lot of – what’s that word – frenemies. The first section I know well and it’s not that technical so I was feeling good. I got passed just before the water stop by some young guy so I hung just behind him knowing I would get him on the road section. Turn onto Buckeye and felt like a fish to water – on the road again - passed the young guy like I knew I would. I re-entered the trails again, this is the section that has technical terrain and not my favorite. This is where it becomes survival mode for me as I try to manage the terrain for about a mile and half.
 
Well it happened – as I was skipping, hopping, running, jumping a particular section – I fell, HARD. I did a tumble and hit my face on a small tree. Sorry no improvement to the face this time. I immediately got up and started to run again with leaves clinging to me. No time to dust off – I now got passed by the young guy again who put some distance on me with this spill. He never even ask if I was ok – asshole. Everything felt fine except my nose, felt like I had a good scratch – cool, I got a battle scar mark.
 
At last King Factory – asphalt. Felt strong and pushed hard passing the young guy again at the top of the small hill. The only part of this race I like in rounding the corner by the cedar trees for the finish. I finish with a time of 56:02 – 59 seconds from a PR. I’m sure the fall had something to do with not PR’ing but I don’t go into this with hopes of PR’ing - I just want to survive.
 
After I finish I like to go help Steve S on traffic duty out on the road. This is always fun time seeing and cheering on other runners coming to the finish. This is when I notice a good size bump on my forearm. Nothing major but when helping Jeff with awards I had hard time giving hand shacks – it hurt.
 
When I arrived home I showed Julie the battle scar marks. She told me to go put something on your nose, that’s going to leave a mark. Cool, I want that.
 
Overall great time and great event for WTAC
picture not by Jana Walker :)
 

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your scar! Nice job and funny write up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nose scratch is starting to look more like a gouge, stop picking at it!! Glad you are ok after your tumble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicks dig scars...nice work! And hey, I'm closing the gap on you at trail races, so you keep NOT training on them, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Crutch, them's fightin' words. We'll see what next year brings.

      Delete
  4. Glad you didn't hurt the tree, and that you still beat the young one despite your fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. Glad to see that battle scars are still desirable at your advanced age. (Jeff paid me to say that.) And pretty darn good race for someone who claims to not be a trail runner...

    ReplyDelete