Thursday, September 25, 2014

Oh, Godfather

Ok, ok – haven’t blog in a long time
Let me catch up

June - blah, blah, blah……..
July - blah, blah, blah……..
August - blah, blah, blah……..
September - blah, blah, blah……..

Current day:
This weekend it will be three weeks until Hartford Marathon. I’ve been averaging 50+ miles a week since late July. I have had plenty of long runs of 20 miles and a high of 21 miles. Some of these long runs were with a group and two were alone – alone sucks like winter. I have discussed running this Marathon with everyone that will listen – especially runners who have run Marathons before – looking for all kinds of advice. I have no idea what my body is going to do after 21 miles. I don’t want to go out hard and hit the wall around 18. I want to run a smart race – can you run smart? Remember, I went to Chariho, I have to use spell check writing this.

Summarizing – I’m turning into a basket case. The anxiety is getting to be overwhelming as I’m thinking about this race all the time – even in my sleep.  What to eat, what about the weather, what should I wear (I know Muddy, cloths). What pace to run, What if it’s windy…………………Some of these things or concerns are out of my control – that I know.
 

Oh, Godfather, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do. ...
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Well based on all your 20 milers I'd say you're definitely ready. Just try to relax and enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a 10K with a 20 mile warm up. You've got this Mike!! Enjoy the day. You are trained and ready. Try and ignore the mental torture for the next three weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you can run a smart race. Set your target goal / pace, and then don't go any faster than that in the early miles even if you feel great.
    You won't know the weather until a day or two before. Pack a few different running outfits, plus obviously a change of clothes.
    Food during is generally recommended to be GU (or equivalent) every 45 minutes or so, plus make sure to take Gatorade during at least some of the stops. Carbs like pasta the night before. The morning of race get enough to eat but food preferences and timings vary by individual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^^ What Jeff said! Do NOT go out too fast, and stick to a fuel/hydration schedule during the race...other than that, you'll do great! You've done the training, now go get some bling. Oh, and thanks for getting caught up with your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete